Senior backend engineer
Helicon builds software for energy companies and startups with energy-related products (e.g ABB, Polarium, Stockholm Exergi). Our experienced software engineers and data scientists specialize in product development, data engineering, and cloud infrastructure.
A typical project includes some kind of data infrastructure (where we use tools like: Kubernetes, Airflow, PostgreSQL, TimescaleDB, InfluxDB, Kafka), a machine learning component (typically built around Spark and Tensorflow), APIs and software to facilitate communication between services (e.g. Python, FastAPI, Django, Kafka, RabbitMQ), and UIs where end-users can operate the system and visualize data and analyses (e.g. React, ThreeJS, WebGL).
- You’re super-passionate about code and technology.
- You’re fluent in, and know the ins and outs of, at-least one “back-end language” (preferably Python)
- You enjoy discovering, defining, and solving problems.
- You make pragmatic scoping decisions and are able to explain why the team is doing something a certain way.
- You work with your team to tackle technical challenges and to level up in the process.
- You can theorize and think in abstractions, but understand the importance of getting things done.
- You strike a balance between moving fast and creating scalable and maintainable solutions.
- 7+ years experience with a reasonably up-to-date back-end stack.
- Experience with running deployments on AWS and/or Azure.
- You write high quality code that is easy to read, understand, and test.
- Strong understanding of Docker and Git.
- Fundamental understanding of profiling and performance optimization.
- Leadership experience and strong communication skills.
- Experience with one or more of the following tools that we use: Kubernetes, Spark, Airflow, Kafka, Timescale, Tensorflow, Keras.
- Basic Python knowledge.
- Provide mentoring and push the team forward in terms of back-end development methodologies.
- Rapidly and precisely plan and execute back-end application development projects.
- Perform positive code reviews and provide meaningful feedback.
- Build and lead back-end development teams and initiatives.
At Helicon, we help companies in the energy sector to build platforms and software that leverages data and advanced analytics for data visualization, optimization, and customer-facing products. Collaborating closely with our customers we want to make data enlightening and software useful.
While we’re growing fast, we maintain a casual, small business work environment that allows everyone to reach their potential, work sustainably, and have the autonomy to deliver results.